Friday, October 26, 2012

Tortellini Skewer Appetizer


One of my favorite appetizer served at my sister's shower were the cheese tortellini skewers. I saw a picture of these on Pinterest a few weeks ago and instantly put it on my menu. They made a great presentation and was something different than I've ever done. Since the picture on Pinterest was just linked to a picture board, I had to figure out the best way to prepare and serve these. It took a little guesswork, but it turned out great.

Here's how I did it...

1 bag of frozen cheese tortellini
1 Tbsp olive oil
30 wooden skewers
1 jar of pesto
1 jar of marinara

Prepare cheese tortellini according to package. Once drained, toss with olive oil. This prevents the pasta from sticking to each other.

Place three tortellini on each skewer. I found the best way to do this is to hold the tortellini right side up, place skewer under the front of the tortellini (the place where the two ends are brought together) and stick skewer through the middle of the fat part of the tortellini.

Serve room temperature with pesto and warm marinara.

As you notice, I dyed the skewers for added fun. To do this, soak the wooden skewers over night in water with food coloring added to it. Place on a paper towel to dry. It took about 12 hours for the skewers to dry. Be sure to allow for this. Just an FYI- it did color the tortellini a little pink in places. I didn't mind because they looked so cute!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...